Nadiya Hussain’s Spinach and Paneer Kati Rolls05.6.2019
Nadiya explains that “Kati rolls are a common street food back in my parents’ homeland, where they are often filled with grilled meats and piquant salads. Keen to make a vegetarian version of the delicious kati roll at home, here I’ve filled a crisp egg-fried tortilla with creamy spinach and paneer. It makes a great snack or something to eat on the side. There is something about that vibrant green that makes me pleased it’s not in smoothie form!”
Recipe from Nadiya’s Family Favourites by Nadiya Hussain (Michael Joseph, HBK £20). Catch Nadiya Hussain on selected dates at BBC Good Food Show Summer when the show returns to the NEC Birmingham from Thursday 13th to Sunday 16th June. For information and tickets, visit: https://www.bbcgoodfoodshow.com/birmingham-summer
For the spinach and paneer:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 226g block of paneer cheese, cut into 1cm cubes
- 150g spinach leaves
- 150ml water
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- ½ tsp salt
For the kati rolls:
- Olive oil, for frying
- 2 eggs
- A pinch of salt
- 4 small tortilla wraps
- Put a non-stick saucepan on a medium heat with 2 tablespoons of the oil. As soon as the oil is hot, add the paneer and fry for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want to colour the paneer as much as possible.
- Put the spinach leaves and water into a blender and whiz to a smooth paste. Add a splash more water if needed, to blend smoothly.
- Take the paneer out of the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil and the garlic to the pan and cook for a minute, until the garlic is light brown.
- Add the green mixture, along with the cumin seeds, chilli flakes and salt, and cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes, until some of the water from around the edge has reduced and the mixture has thickened.
- Add the paneer to the pan and mix well, making sure all the cheese is covered in green. Pop a lid on the pan and leave on a low heat while you make the rolls.
- Put a small frying pan on a high heat and add a good glug of oil, enough to cover the base.
- Break the eggs into a very shallow bowl with the salt and lightly whisk – the bowl needs to be flat enough to be able to dunk the tortillas. Dip a tortilla into the egg mixture, making sure to cover it all over. Get it straight into the frying pan. The oil should be hot enough to really create a sizzle. Cook for just 30 seconds, then turn it over and cook on the other side. Now cook the other 3 tortillas the same way.
- To serve, add the paneer mixture to the centre of a hot crispy tortilla, and roll up. Not like a burrito, but the way a kid would make a roll for the first time. If you don’t have cheese falling out one end, you’re doing it wrong!